Art-Inspiring Fashion: DIY Splatter Clutch
Posted Friday February 24, 2012 4:13 PM GMT
Have you ever heard the saying, “Life imitates art?” Well, we believe that fashion imitates art, too! Some of our most loved trends have here at DIY been derived from works of art; no matter the medium used.
A big favorite among those in the creative realm is that of the abstract. This style allows one to create a piece that is extremely unorthodox in nature; however, its eccentric make-up is what makes it so beautiful – priceless even.
Well, if you’d like to nurture your inner Picasso, then we have the perfect funk-tastic (messy) DIY project for you! The featured splatter clutch is perfect accessory for the fashionista looking to add a little pizazz to any ol' ensemble. The best part? Making your own is SERIOUSLY easy!! So throw on some tattered clothing and dust off your paint brushes, it’s time to get messy!
What you’ll Need:
- Plain clutch
- 3+ colors paint
- 3+ paint brushes
- Duct tape
- A large sheet to construct over or newspaper.
- Clothes you can get dirty.
- Make sure you’re wearing clothes that you won’t mind getting a little paint on!
- Lay a large sheet or newspaper over a flat surface.
- Place duct tape over any hardware on the clutch that you want to keep paint splatter off of such as the zipper, latches, etc…
- Now is the fun part! Dip a paint brush in any one of the colors you’ve chosen to use and gently shake it back and forth over the top of clutch.
- Repeat this process with the other colors as well, with a different paintbrush.
- Let the first side dry overnight.
- Repeat the paint splatter process on the other side of the clutch the next day.
- Allow this side to dry overnight as well to ensure nothing smudges.