Copy the Catwalk: DIY Oscar de la Renta-Inspired Ribbon Headband
Posted Thursday February 23, 2012 11:32 AM GMT
With New York fashion week all wrapped up and London and Milan’s in full swing, we are certainly seeing some lovely headwear accessories emerging.
One of our favorite hair-friendly trends we've seen was during the Oscar de la Renta showing on the NYC catwalk last week. Models donned dainty embellished ribbon headbands down the runway, creating quite the sleek and sophisticated addition to each ensemble.
And, if you're hoping to snag this popular look you're in luck! Mimicking this haute trend is oh-so-easy and can be completed in just a handful of steps! Styling it equally as simple, as this piece would make for the perfect topper to a summer dress or with a silk cami and some bright wide leg trousers!
What you’ll need:
- Enough silk or velvet ribbon to wrap around your head.
- A couple inches of elastic (the same width as your ribbon).
- An embellishment for your headband such as rhinestone embellished ribbon, beads, a broach, etc…
- Needle and thread
- Cut the ribbon to the perfect size by measuring it around your head. Leave a 3-inch gap in the back; this is where you’ll sew in the elastic.
- Begin by sewing one side of the elastic to one end of the ribbon.
- Repeat for the other end. Now you have a round headband.
- Now it’s time for the embellishment! To replicate the Oscar de a Renta headband, you’ll place it in the middle. However, you can place it to the left or right side as well.
- Then, sew the embellishment on and voila! You have a beautiful new hair accessory!
Photo Credit: Getty Images